Friday, July 22, 2011

I'm Straying Away... Just Once :)

So I'm straying from my plans just a little bit but I've been talking about this recipe at work for a couple of days and I had to fix it.  It's in the oven finishing off as I type.  Dr Pepper Spaghetti!!!  Ok, don't knock it until you've tried it!  I promise I wouldn't lie to you.

Dr Pepper Spaghetti
1 c. chopped onion
2 t. minced garlic
1/2 t. Italian seasoning
1/2 t. salt
1/2 t. pepper
12 oz. can Dr Pepper
15 oz. can tomato sauce
2 T. Worcestershire sauce
16 oz. cooked spaghetti
1 1/2 c. shredded mozzarella

Brown ground beef and drain well.  Add onion, garlic and seasonings.  Cook about 5 minutes.  Add Dr Pepper, tomato sauce and Worcestershire; cook an additonal 5 minutes.  Stir in cooked and drained spaghetti. Stir in cheese.  Pour into a well greased cassesrole dish.  Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes.  Enjoy with a salad, green beans, garlic bread and an ICE COLD GLASS OF DR PEPPER!! :)


I got the recipe out of a little Dr Pepper cookbook I bought in Waco years ago and I've only actually cooked it twice.  The first time I followed the recipe exactly, but the next time I made it I had some friends coming over and I tried to cook it differently.  Instead of mixing it all together, I made the meat sauce and put it in the crock pot so I wouldn't heat the house too much.  It doesn't taste sweet, but you can taste the Dr Pepper.  When I made it in the crock pot it was much sweeter and the taste was a little stronger.  I liked it both ways.  But I am a "Pepper" afterall!  Too bad God didn't make it something good for you or I'd never drink anything else!

My test subject... I mean Steve...  will be here in a little while and this will be the first time he's ever had it.  I'm not going to tell him and see if he can figure it out. hahaha  I'll post a pic and the outcome later!  Try it! I promise you will like it!

No comments: