Monday, July 11, 2011

And so it begins...

My plans were to cook an entire meal from all these recipes on Saturday for dinner.  But it was WAY TOO HOT inside and out to make it even hotter by having a gas oven on all afternoon.  But I'm way too anxious to get started with these so I broke down and heated up my house tonight instead!!

First attempt - Cranberry Swirl Coffee Cake.  Sounds really good.  And according to Rosemarie's notes, it's "DEE-lish!"   She made it for the first time for Aggie and JoeRobert (yes, one word and NOT Joe Bob!) and this cake eventually became a "regular favorite at bridge."  I love games of all kinds, but bridge is one game I've never learned how to play.  If I played, I suppose now I'd have to start taking this cake!

It's in the oven right now, so I have no idea how it's going to turn out, but it smells "DEE-lish!"  And of course I had to lick the beaters so what I could taste was pretty good.  I'm taking with me to work tomorrow so I guess I can judge how good it is or isn't by how fast it disappears and if I have to bring any home with me.  :)  I know my kids won't eat it because it's got fruit in it - Heaven forbid.  They like fruit but they don't want it cooked.  Go figure.  I don't know where either of them would get their pickiness from!! I'm certainly NOT the reason. hahaha

Here's the recipe, and I'll let you know tomorrow how it goes!  Let me just go ahead and say that if this cake sticks after all that grease and flour you will hear me screaming no matter where you live.  Enjoy!!!

Cranberry Swirl Coffee Cake

1/4 lb. butter
1 c. sugar
2 eggs
1 t. baking powder
1 t. soda
2 c. flour
1/2 t. salt
1/2 pint sour cream
1 t. almond extract
1 can whole berry cranberry sauce
1/2 c. chopped nuts

Cream butter; add sugar.  Add unbeaten eggs one at a time.  Sift all dry ingredients.  Add alternately with sour cream, ending with dry ingredients.  Add almond extract.

Grease and flour a bundt or tube pan.  Put a layer of batter in bottom of pan, the swirl some of the cranberry sauce.  Add another layer of batter and swirl remaining cranberry sauce.  Sprinkle the top with nuts.

Bake at 350 degrees for 55 minutes.  Remove from pan after 5 minutes of cooling.
 

3 comments:

paranoidparent said...

I call the first piece!!!

HollyG said...

Yay! Maybe some ice cream will make it even more awesome... just sayin'.

Sparky said...

Yummmo
I want some!!!!!
I am so proud of you!!!
Food Network here we come!